The future of furniture and homeware market is bright: it is predicted to grow at an annual rate of 7.8% making some US$276M by 2024. Though this product line has long had a solid online presence, the pandemic crisis of 2020 has accelerated drastically the shift towards digital experiences and forced more furniture businesses to go online.
Seeing an increased demand for ecommerce implementation services from furniture manufacturers and sellers, we’ve prepared a short summary of our ideas on how to make this online channel profitable. Here, we focus more on furniture website design, and you can also check our guide explaining how to start a furniture business online and covering some business aspects.
Website features specific for online furniture selling
- Rich product visualization. The advantage brick-and-mortar retail has over ecommerce, not only with furniture but across all product lines, is the fact that customers can actually see, touch and try products out. To make online experience competitive, use 360-degree rotating images, add 3D technologies, and picture furniture items in real interiors to create a clear vision on what your products look and feel like.
- Layered navigation. This feature is basic, still an absolute must for furniture web stores. As a rule, customers have an idea of what furniture pieces they are looking for (at least regarding color, price range, size) and will appreciate a possibility to filter a large catalog out against various criteria.
- Easy-to-use manuals. Customer experience doesn’t end with a buy – you need to take care of trouble-free delivery and after-purchase communication. What’s more, if you sell self-assembly furniture, customers expect from you detailed instructions on how to put together and use furniture pieces. Most often, downloadable manuals are used for this purpose but some retailers bring customer convenience even further and provide AR-powered assembly instructions.
- Visual product builders. If you give customers a possibility to style furniture pieces and choose the best-suited color or configuration, allow them to visualize the result instantly too.
- Store locator. Furniture businesses often have online and offline presence alike, which is surely convenient for people preferring to do online research but hesitant to buy online. Placing a store locator on your website, you inform customers about the nearest offline stores and increase chances to ultimately convert them. Don’t forget to add such important information as working hours and parking availability. You can also allow for a possibility to book a sales assistant for particular time slots.